CareWorks and PEPFAR
CareWorks has been a PEPFAR prevention partner since 2012. The two funded programmes we are currently running are a Combination Prevention Programme in the mining communities of Mpumalanga, Limpopo and North West provinces; as well as Mobilisation for Medical Male Circumcision (MMC) nationally.
The Combination Prevention Programme has a number of components, including:
- HIV training, counselling and testing with an 85% success rate of voluntary HIV testing within organisations or groups
- Community Peer Education, where peer educators receive ongoing training and support to assist in mobilisation for the programme and reinforcing prevention strategies
- Our Bridge Programme, where people screening positive for HIV, TB and STIs are supported and linked to treatment though an outbound, multi-lingual call centre
The MMC Mobilisation Programme uses a variety of methods, including:
- Field mobilisers working in communities
- Mobile phone technology
- Workplace programmes
- Call centre support and linkage to MMC sites
- Mobilisation amongst traditional leaders
All mobilisation activities are systematically tracked and measured to establish a record of costs, efficiencies and outcomes. We also provide post-MMC telephonic support to promote attendance at check-ups and provide any additional information that might be of assistance.
CareWorks has also created a PEPFAR-sponsored information portal about Medical Male Circumcision, containing up-to-date information about MMC as well as links to other sites with useful MMC-related resources: www.MMCinfo.co.za.